The College Park Historic District of Tacoma is a cohesive walkable single family residential area of one to two story tall homes built primarily before the Second World War, with an average construction date of 1924. The districts a exhibits a scale, setting and feel that speaks of the period in which it was built working as a group of homes conveys unique feeling in place and time. It was developed during the peak in home construction and growth in Tacoma in the late 19th century up to 1960, and dominated by a period between 1910 and the 1940’s. The area was developed and shaped by three main street car lines. It represents a typical early streetcar neighborhood of the period and the adoption of the car was the main mode of transportation. The district grew out into the undeveloped lands west of Tacoma’s first neighbors, a suburb at the time. During the mid to late 1920’s and 1930’s it was also influenced by its proximity to the new site of College of Puget Sound campus, the present University of Puget Sound. During this period, the then college moved from its previous site at Sixth Avenue and Division Streets, the current site of Jason Lee Middle School (1924) to the site of pre-world war one residential development known as Rose Park (13th and Lawrence) and the Tacoma athletic fields and track used by residences, club sports and the YMCA.
The College Park Historic District exhibits the full range of residential architectural styles prevalent during the pre-war and post-world war two in Tacoma. These styles are also documented in pattern books and kit home catalog of the time, but with a primary influence of Craftsman, Tudor Revival and Colonial Revival houses. Many of the homes were advertised as having been designed by leading architects and composition of even the simplest home design reflects a clear level of design talent. Most of its residences are relatively modest structures, built for young professionals and the working class, but with a few good examples of high-style architect-designed homes and buildings are also found within the district.